. . .

Day: June 10, 2019

Portugal secured Nations League glory yesterday as Goncalo Guedes’ second-half strike earned a 1-0 victory over Netherlands at the Estadio do Dragao.

The host nation had been touted as favourites ahead of the inaugural Finals and they lived up to that billing in Porto, adding more major silverware to their European Championship triumph three years ago.

Cristiano Ronaldo had netted a hat-trick in the 3-1 semi-final win over Switzerland but he was kept relatively quiet on this occasion by Virgil van Dijk and Matthijs de Ligt.

Instead it was left to Guedes to settle matters, exchanging passes with Bernardo Silva and smashing home from the edge of the box, although Jasper Cillessen may feel he could have done better.

Cillessen, winning his 50th cap, was the busier goalkeeper in the opening half-hour, although he was only called upon to make a trio of routine saves – twice from Bruno Fernandes long-range efforts either side of gathering Jose Fonte’s header.

Fernandes remained a threat, curling narrowly over from the edge of the box as the hosts continued to look likeliest to score as the interval approached.

Netherlands were sharper after the break and Rui Patricio got down smartly to thwart Georginio Wijnaldum, but on the hour Portugal had the goal their play deserved.

Guedes found Silva, who returned the ball with a nicely disguised pass, and the Valencia man rifled into the bottom-right corner via the left hand of Cillessen.

Patricio saved impressively from Memphis Depay’s header as Netherlands sought a swift response but the closest they came was Marten de Roon firing over from 20 yards as Portugal held on to lift another major international trophy.


If only that our Security structures can summon the courage to pursue, parade and prosecute the corrupt politicians who are stealing our money the way they are doing to musicians who may not even be guilty of the accusations, Nigeria will soon be making remarkable progress.

An Abuja-based music producer and photographer, Mr Nasiru Ali, popularly known as “Kozzographa”, on Sunday threatened to sue the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for wrongly calling him a fraudster (Yahoo boy).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ali was among 10 suspected internet fraudsters paraded on May 17 by the EFCC operatives.

The EFCC personnel raided suspects residence at Favour Land Estate, Life Camp, Abuja.

According to the EFCC, they were arrested following a tip-off by an anonymous source.

The agency said that the suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigations were concluded.

But Ali in a petition to the EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu, on May 31 demanded a compensation of N100 million and an unreserved apology for arresting him wrongly and giving a libelous information to the public about him.

The musician, through his lawyer, Mr Pelumi Olajengbensi, said that he would drag the EFCC to court for refusing to retract the negative publications about him after a seven-day ultimatum.

“He lost a contract of five million naira with United Global Resolve for Peace (UNGREP), which he had been interviewed for and hitherto offered unequivocally because the contractors became disturbed and concerned by the publication thus doubtful of his reputation.

“He has been ostracised by his colleagues and associates as well as senior associates who usually refer to him for jobs in the past, thereby losing their trust and reference.

“He has been bombarded with a barrage of calls from friends and family members calling his reputation to question, while expressing their disappointment and indicating their intention to cut all connection with him forthwith.

“His relationship with his intended life partner has been irreparably strained by the negative publicity generated by the unlawful arrest, particularly the publication on your media platform on same matter.

“The publication has led to close clients taking their jobs off him and taking them to other persons thereby amounting to great level of loss and in some cases varying level of indebtedness,” Ali’s lawyer stated in the petition to EFCC.

Ali also claimed in the petition that his health and psychology had been affected following the Gestapo way he was arrested and assaulted by the commission operatives .

He said that the men that raided his home were dressed in black with no means of identifying them as officers of the EFCC.

The petitioner had given the EFCC seven days to meet his conditions or face legal action.

See the story in question where Ali and other suspects were paraded on EFCC Instagram page below:
NAN

A four-man committee on the feud between Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje and Emir Muhammad Sanusi II has left the fate of the new emirates for the court to decide.

The committee, however, succeeded in persuading the governor to stay action on the ongoing probe of the Emir for alleged N3.4 billion fraud, which Sanusi said was non-existence.

But the Emir has been advised to stop making political comments.

The two parties are expected to continue to explore dialogue on grey areas which caused the crisis of confidence between them.

These were the highlights of the outcome of the session between the two parties which was held at Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi’s Abuja home.

The meeting was held at Fayemi’s home to make it as “private” as possible, according to a source, who said some of those who attended on both sides eventually leaked it in an attempt to outwit each other in the media.

The Nation learnt that the only knotty issue which the session could not address was what to do with the creation of new emirates.

The Emirates, which were created on May 8, 2019, are Gaya, Rano, Bichi and Karaye.

The House of Assembly on May 8 initiated and passed a bill splitting Kano Emirate into five emirates. But on May 10, a High Court in Kano ordered Ganduje, the Assembly, the Speaker, the Clerk of the Assembly and the Attorney-General from implementing the break-up of the Kano Emirate.

A source privy to the outcome of the peace meeting in Abuja said: “The peace committee did its best to persuade Ganduje to stay action on all disciplinary procedures already put in place, including alleged plans to depose the Emir of Kano.

“The committee also noted that partisan political comments by the Emir aggravated the crisis of confidence with the governor. The Emir has been advised to avoid political comments or any form of partisanship.

“The two sides were further advised to explore more avenues for dialogue in the interest of the state. They both agreed to keep to the terms of the ceasefire.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “The only issue we have not been able to resolve is the creation of four new Emirates because the Emir went to court over it.

“We have decided to allow the court matter to run its full course pending when a political solution will be found to it. If there is no alternative, the court will determine the fate of the Emirates.

“A lot of things are involved in the creation of the new Emirates, including the passage of a bill into law and likely subjudice of the court process. These challenges are not what the committee can adjudicate on.

“But we believe that if there is a new understanding by both parties with all the stakeholders in the state, a solution is possible.”

The source said the committee expected the two parties to stick to the term agreed upon.

“This is not the first time there will be a ceasefire but it was breached. We hope the second intervention will work.

“If there is any further breakdown, no one will be able to help the situation anymore,” the source added.

DAY NEWS
June 2019
M T W T F S S
« May    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
Close

Donate

  1. Diranjoe.com

Top Pages

For Adverts, Other Enquiries & Bookings

Spam blocked

0 spam blocked by CleanTalk